What you will learn
This programme will prepare you for a career in the commercial music industry, including performance and recorded music production.
- Learn to read and write music to an advanced level
- Apply composition, arranging and lyric writing techniques to create a variety of music
- Learn to perform music competently and creatively to engage an audience
- Develop your technical ability on a musical instrument(s)
- Create music and sound recordings in our state of the art facilities
More detail about this qualification
Music programmes are taught in facilities that include:
- Recording studios
- Digi labs with Apple computers
- Music production suites
- Performance room equipped with lighting, PA, projector and large screen and performance equipment.
- Fully equipped band rehearsal rooms.
- Individual practice rooms, equipped with keyboards, stereos and practice amps.
- Specialist music teaching rooms
- Keyboard theory lab
- Music library
- Student music listening area
Graduates can work in roles such as:
- composing for personal repertoire
- organising personal groups or gigs
- assisting in the production of live or recorded music
- music/media business occupations
NCEA level 2 or equivalent qualification/work experience AND evidence of ability based on an audition.
IELTS 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0 (or equivalent) and academic requirements.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fee displayed is for 1 year of study (equivalent to 120 credits) and does not include insurance and administration (approximately $924 per year of study).
Own instrument unless a vocalist. Optional but recommended: laptop computer and multimedia software.
Related study options
This qualification is offered by Whitireia.
From 2023, Whitireia and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by Whitireia and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 944 847 or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org