What you will learn
There’s high demand for carpenters. Gain core skills from setting out and levelling to framing and roofing. Learn in the workshop and on the building site where you’ll construct a house that will become a family’s home. Learn to apply safe work practices and build a solid CV for entering an industry apprenticeship.
- Receive on-site work experience in timber-framed construction
- Safely use carpentry hand tools and timber machining equipment
- Set up timber and metal scaffolds
- Interpret construction drawings and prepare quantity lists
- Learn first aid and how to apply safe work practices on construction sites
More detail about this qualification
Students are required to have the items listed on this document for the programme.
Under 20 years
- 10 credits at level 1 in each of numeracy and literacy, or equivalent study/work experience.
- Physical capability to complete the programme.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria
Related study options
Hear from our graduates
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
On 1 September 2022, the operations of WelTec transferred to the Whitireia and WelTec business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga). As part of this, all existing WelTec programmes transferred to Te Pūkenga.