What you will learn
Learn to professionally prepare surfaces and paint interiors and exteriors. Develop your decorating skills by learning wallpapering and spray painting. Gain safe worksite skills along with becoming first aid qualified, so you’re ready to work in industry. Get the opportunity to practise your skills in the workshop and on real projects.
- Gain painting and decorating employment skills
- Learn the safe use of painting and decorating materials
- Interpret work drawings, specifications and measure quantities
- Prepare surfaces and apply paint by brush and roller to manufacturers’ specifications
- Learn how to prepare and apply wallpaper
- Use conventional and airless spray equipment
- Erect scaffolding for painting and apply site safety procedures in construction work
- Follow industry health and safety protocols
More detail about this qualification
Classes for this programme happen Monday to Thursday, 9am to 3pm.
*Students may be eligible for fees free, check the fees free website for more information.
Begin work as an apprentice in painting and decorating or seek employment in paint sales, warehousing and manufacturing. Other construction trade areas, such as plastering and tiling, are also an option.
Under 20 years
10 credits NCEA Level 1 numeracy and 10 credits NCEA Level 1 literacy, or equivalent study/work experience.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.