What you will learn
Learn to professionally prepare surfaces and paint interiors and exteriors. Develop your decorating skills by learning wallpapering and spray painting. Gain safe worksite skills along with becoming first aid qualified, so you’re ready to work in industry. Get the opportunity to practise your skills in the workshop and on real projects.
- Gain painting and decorating employment skills
- Learn the safe use of painting and decorating materials
- Interpret work drawings, specifications and measure quantities
- Prepare surfaces and apply paint by brush and roller to manufacturers’ specifications
- Learn how to prepare and apply wallpaper
- Use conventional and airless spray equipment
- Erect scaffolding for painting and apply site safety procedures in construction work
- Follow industry health and safety protocols
Begin work as an apprentice in painting and decorating or seek employment in paint sales, warehousing and manufacturing. Other construction trade areas, such as plastering and tiling, are also an option.
Under 20 years
10 credits NCEA Level 1 numeracy and 10 credits NCEA Level 1 literacy, or equivalent study/work experience.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Funding your study
Government's Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF)
*This programme is FREE under TTAF, covering; compulsory tuition fees, compulsory course costs and compulsory student services fees. Visit tec.govt.nz for more information about TTAF.
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
From 2023, WelTec and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by WelTec and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 935 832 or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org