What you will learn
Before applying for this qualification please ensure you have read the COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
- Explore theories and emerging research about youth development and youth identity formation
- Gain an understanding of the concepts of youth culture and subcultures, the impact of globalisation, and social and technical change on young people
- Develop communication strategies and skills in order to maintain mutually respectful relationships with young people
- Explore the impact of risk taking behaviours in young people and identify tools and strategies to screen, assess and manage risk in the provision of youth development services
- Discuss ethical codes and conventions in developing a professional identity
- Gain skills in supporting youth participation in order to support young people’s positive and sustainable social development
- Learn how to manage and best respond to situations of crisis
- Develop your abilities to design, innovate, deliver and co-create programmes and initiatives for young people and the wider community
- Mentor a novice youth practitioner
- For Wellington students this programme will be taught at the Whitireia campus in Porirua
- We offer Certificate of Interest and Certificate of Proficiency courses that can be taken as a one-off professional development opportunity by anyone in the sector practice
- Youth development expert
- Youth worker
- Community development worker
- Youth minister
- Case manager
- Sports coordinator
- Policy advisor
- Youth centre manager
University degree entry requirements or equivalent practical, professional or educational experience in an associated area of youth development or in the social service sector and evidence of suitability based on police vet, child safety check and interview.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
* International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $924 per year of study)
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.