For over thirty years nursing has been a major programme at Whitireia. During this time, Whitireia has developed a reputation for producing work-ready graduates who are highly regarded by industry.
Whitireia offers applicants the choice of three Bachelor of Nursing Degrees, all of which are approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and meet the Nursing Council of New Zealand’s requirements for registration. These are the Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Nursing Māori and Bachelor of Nursing Pacific.
All are three-year full-time programmes and offer a combination of theory i.e. classroom-based sessions at our Porirua campus and supported clinical experience, which is practical/hands-on work completed in a variety of community and hospital settings.
More detail about this qualification
Applicants must meet both the academic and suitability entry requirements.
Academic entry requirements
Whitireia degree academic entry requirements (i.e. University Entrance) or equivalent.
Evidence of equivalence may include successful completion of high school studies overseas or recent tertiary study at Level 4, with a “B” average, and/or relevant work experience (paid or unpaid); application considered on a case-by-case basis with entry granted at the discretion of the Head of School.
- Health screening: $250 (must be completed prior to programme start)
- Medical equipment: $120 (must be ordered prior to programme start)
- Uniform: $200 (must be ordered prior to programme start)
- Vaccinations (if required by clinical placement): Costs will vary depending on vaccination required i.e. flu, whooping cough
- Stationary: $200
- Clinical Travel Costs: These will vary depending on where you live and where your placements are*
*Confirmed 2023 costs and instructions of how to arrange vaccinations, order uniform etc. will be available on the School of Health Moodle link in November.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted by 31 October 2022, However, the selection committee will continue to review applications received after this date.
1. Apply online through the Bachelor of Nursing Māori programme page
2. Before you start your online application you will need the following documentation available to upload when requested
- Completed supplementary application form for health and social services
- Referee report*
- Verified ID
- Verified official transcripts
*Give the referee report to someone who is willing to be your referee. Ask them to complete the forms and return them to you (so you can upload with your application).
Alternatively, completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com or dropped into:
Enrolments, Whitireia New Zealand 3 Wi Neera Drive, Porirua
Give yourself credit →
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.
Whitireia and WelTec are a business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology.