What you will learn
Start your career as an electrician. Learn the skills and theory that an electrician needs in their daily work. This course will give you broad-based training in all aspects of the industry. Designed to prepare you for an apprenticeship. Learn introductory electrical theory and regulations. Build practical skills such as circuit wiring and how to use power instruments. Train in our workshops where you'll diagnose and fix electrical faults.
- Apply knowledge and principles of electrical theory and practice to basic electrical tasks.
- Apply safe working procedures and practices to electrical tasks, including first aid and CPR as needed.
- Operate within legal limitations of electrical and relevant non-electrical legislation.
- Select and use products, tools, and equipment suitable for use in the electrical industry.
- Install cables and electrical equipment.
- Use testing techniques to test for electrical safety, and to identify and diagnose electrical faults.
- Demonstrate behaviour suitable for the workplace, follow instructions, and complete basic workplace documentation.
*Classes for this programme are from Monday to Thursday.
Graduates will be able to enter an electrical apprenticeship as a first-year apprentice.
Graduates may be employed in entry-level positions in trades relevant to the Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB) registration classes, other electrical fields such as switchgear fitting, electronics, electricity supply industry, manufacturing, electrical wholesaling or retailing.
Under 20 years
Candidates must have achieved the NCEA (Level 1) with Mathematics and English subjects; or equivalent knowledge and skills for entry into this programme.
Over 20 years
Give yourself credit →
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.
Whitireia and WelTec are a business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology.