What you will learn
- Advance your understanding of material properties and their treatments
- Learn to make, install and repair metal products for light and heavy fabrication and steel construction
- Heavy fabricated products could include heavy trailers and heavy manufacturing equipment
- Light fabricated products could include ducting, light trailers and balustrade
- Carry out complex welding tasks
- Apply knowledge of forming and shaping to minimise damage and distortion
More detail about this qualification
Evening classes, three hours a week held between February and December. Includes two one-week block courses per year.
- General Engineer
- Structural Sheet Worker
Must be employed in an appropriate engineering job full-time and have successfully completed the New Zealand Certificate in Engineering (Level 3) or have relevant skills and experience.
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
On 1 September 2022, the operations of WelTec transferred to the Whitireia and WelTec business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga). As part of this, all existing WelTec programmes transferred to Te Pūkenga.