What you will learn
Designed to prepare you for an apprenticeship. Train in our workshops and drainlaying pit. Learn how to use and maintain plumbing tools and equipment. You’ll identify basic methods for safely performing entry-level plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying tasks under professional supervision.
Start your career as a plumber. Learn the skills and theory that plumbers needs in their daily work. This course will give you broad-based training in all aspects of the plumbing industry.
- Learn how to use and maintain plumbing tools and equipment
- Install drains, working out levels using lasers
- Cover the installation of plumbing fixtures, water pipes and water cylinders
- Understand how to safely install gas pipes
- Install basis roof cladding and flashings
- Follow industry health and safety protocols
- Get trained and certified in first aid
- Heating and ventilation installer
- Heat pump installer
Applicants must be able to carry out the physical requirements of the programme.
Under 20 years
10 credits NCEA level 1 numeracy and 10 credits NCEA level 1 literacy, or evidence of equivalent skills and knowledge.
Over 20 years
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
On 1 September 2022, the operations of WelTec transferred to the Whitireia and WelTec business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga). As part of this, all existing WelTec programmes transferred to Te Pūkenga.