What you will learn
Learn to prepare, bake and present a range of breads, biscuits and cakes and get the skills needed to start as a trainee baker.
- Learn the use of different flour types, sugar varieties and yeast
- Understand why ingredients are combined together in exact quantities to produce products
- Produce a range of yeast-raised classics, including baguettes, bagels, pizza bread and plaited loaves
- Create melt-in-your-mouth shortbread, yo-yo biscuits and biscotti
- Cover traditional cakes, lamingtons, Victoria sponge, berry friands and a range of slices
- Progress through pastry-based products, from savoury pies and puff pastries to sweet tarts and turnovers
- Cater to dietary requirements with gluten-free alternatives
- Learn techniques for finishing and presenting basic bakery items
- Work in a team to produce bakery items for sale
- Follow food hygiene processes to prepare, cook, serve and store food safely
Gain entry-level positions in commercial bakeries.
- Baking apprentice
- Trainee baker
Under 20 years
NCEA Level 1 literacy and 10 NCEA Level 1 numeracy credits, or an equivalent qualification.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $924 per year of study)
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
On 1 September 2022, the operations of WelTec transferred to the Whitireia and WelTec business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga). As part of this, all existing WelTec programmes transferred to Te Pūkenga.