What you will learn
Develop your skills. learn different styles and play in a band. Learn alongside industry professionals, create original songs and gig in local venues.
Our students get the chance to gig with prominent artists which previously have included Annie Crummer, Warren Maxwell, Bella Kalolo, Barnaby Weir and Karl Steven.
This programme is designed to provide a foundation for musicians wishing to work in the music industry or go onto further study. training. It covers all aspects of the music industry from performance, composition and song writing, music technology, music business and instrument studies.
This programme is formerly known as the New Zealand Certificate in Rock, Jazz and Commercial Music (Level 4).
More detail about this qualification
Students will learn the following skills:
- Instrument Studies - learning to play your instrument to a proficient level
- Ensemble Workshop - playing in groups
- Understanding Music - theory, ear training, musicianship
- Composition - song writing
- Professional Studies - music business, health and safety
- MIDI Technology - using computers to make music
- PA Technology - learning how to set up PA systems and mix live sound
Music programmes are taught in facilities that include:
- Recording studios
- Digi labs with Apple computers
- Music production suites
- Performance room equipped with lighting, PA, projector and large screen and performance equipment.
- Fully equipped band rehearsal rooms.
- Fully equipped DJ booths
- Individual practice rooms, equipped with keyboards, stereos and practice amps.
- Specialist music teaching rooms
- Keyboard theory lab
- Music library
- Student music listening area
Specialise in your passion:
Grade 3 music theory or equivalent and evidence of instrumental and vocal skills/ability based on an audition and interview.
Proven equivalence of entry requirements plus IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0)
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fee displayed is for 1 year of study (equivalent to 120 credits) and does not include insurance and administration (approximately $924 per year of study).
This qualification is offered by Whitireia.
From 2023, Whitireia and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by Whitireia and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 944 847 or send us a message at email@example.com