What you will learn
- Gain a broad knowledge of the different career opportunities within the Hospitality Industry.
- Understand how the different departments are positioned, interact, and communicate with each other to provide service
- The essential skills to provide café service and barista coffee
- The essential skills to prepare and serve basic beverages
- Functions of front of house, reception, and accommodation operations, including concierge
- Basic cookery and food handling skills
- Restaurant service basics and customer service
- Hands on experience within an industry department
- The programme will provide you with the knowledge and hands on experience in the various skill sets to assist you in making an informed decision in choosing a specific career path.
Flexible study options
Delivery is four days per week full time (17 weeks) or two days per week part-time (34 weeks).
More detail about this qualification
- The content of the programme includes food service fundamentals, communication and customer service, café beverage service, barista skills, processing payments, basic cookery skills, work and food safety, front office and accommodation services.
- Food Service: Develop knowledge and skills that support competent food service in a hospitality environment.
- Café Beverage Service: Enables learners to provide beverage services including barista skills in a hospitality environment.
- Basic Cookery: develops basic skills in preparing, cooking and presenting a range of products, employing commodities commonly used in the hospitality industry and in effective communication with others in a commercial kitchen.
- Front Office and Accommodation Services: Develop basic skills for entry level work in reception front office or accommodation services within the hospitality sector.
Entry level and junior positions in commercial hospitality environments:
- Catering companies
- Other Food and Beverage Service and customer service businesses.
Or students can pathway on to further study.
10 NCEA Level 1 Literacy and 10 NCEA Level 1 Numeracy credits, or equivalent.
IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0), or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
* International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $924 per year of study)
Related study options
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
From 2023, WelTec and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by WelTec and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 935 832 or send us a message at email@example.com