What you will learn
This highly-regarded programme is the only full-time training course for publishing in New Zealand. Developed and run in partnership with the industry, the Graduate Diploma in Publishing (Applied) is modelled on an apprenticeship. It focuses on practical experience and industry contacts.
All tutors are practitioners in the publishing industry. Students attend work placements in publishing firms. Guest speakers include publishers, print and web editors, eBook creators, designers, sales reps, publicists, booksellers and authors.
In addition, students on the programme each take a manuscript through to publication, dealing with every aspect from developing the idea to selling the product.
The programme covers:
- Planning and promoting a publication (through manuscript assessment, market research, costing, scheduling, marketing and distribution)
- Production, from idea to printed or digital publication (through writing, editing, typesetting, and supervision of design and print)
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Evidence of suitability based on written application and interview - see selection process below
- Working knowledge of specified publishing software
- International students: IELTS 7.0 in all bands
Students who meet the entry requirements will be selected on the basis of their academic skills, the strength of their written applications and how well they score in the interview.
The written application assesses:
- written communication skills
- computer competency
- ability to contribute to a team environment
- experience in and/or commitment to working in publishing or editing roles
The interview assesses:
- oral communication skills
- professional presentation
- ability to contribute thoughtfully to a discussion about publishing
- evidence of research into and understanding of the area in which they wish to pursue a career
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fee displayed is for 1 year of study (equivalent to 120 credits) and does not include insurance and administration (approximately $924 per year of study).
How to apply
- Complete the online Application for the Graduate Diploma in Publishing (Applied) through the Te Auaha or Whitireia websites.
- An Enrolment Advisor will be in contact and share and information pack with details about the written information to be submitted.
- Once the applicant has returned the requested written application an interview time will be set with the Publishing team
Interviews can be face-to-face, or online.
This qualification is offered by Whitireia.
From 2023, Whitireia and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by Whitireia and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 944 847 or send us a message at email@example.com