What you will learn
- Fundamentals of hairdressing and styling
- Understand the use of elementary colours, foils, highlights and lowlights
- Perform elementary blow drying and long hair styling techniques
- Gain knowledge in hair treatments and scalp massage
- Learn about safe, hygienic and professional practice
- Work on real clients in the salon and develop your reception, customer service and consultation skills
- Opportunity to work on the World of WearableArt™ Awards show, regional competitions, fashion shows and theatre production
More detail about this qualification
Dates and times for this programme are as follows:
Hairdressing Level 3 Kowhai Group:
Monday 9:00am – 4.30pm; Tuesday 9am – 4.30pm; Wednesday 9:00am – 4:30pm
Work as a salon assistant. Or you might continue on with training as a second-year apprentice working in industry.
- Salon assistant
- Fashion hair stylist
Under 20 years
NCEA level 1, or above
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the entry criteria as provided on the Under 20 information.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5, or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $924 per year of study)
Course related costs
This programme has additional course related costs of approximately $879 (includes combs, brushes, hairdryer etc).
These course related costs are not covered under any fees free funding schemes. To apply for course related costs (as a loan) visit studylink.
Ākonga who qualify for the MPTT (Māori and Pasifika Trades Training) scholarship may be able to have their course related costs covered.
Give yourself credit →
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.
Whitireia and WelTec are a business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology.