What you will learn
- Day makeup, fashion makeup, runway makeup and accompanying hair-styling techniques
- Editorial/photographic makeup and styling
- Character/period makeup and styling
- Special effects makeup and body painting
- Character and aging makeup and hair applications
- Male makeup
- Wig and prosthetic application, facial hair trimming and application
- Portfolio development
- Business skills, practice professionalism and customer service
Check out the Te Auaha Makeup Instagram for examples of student work.
Work as a makeup artist or counter salesperson at cosmetic companies and department stores. Enter the creative industries and work in film and TV, stage production or on photo shoots.
- Makeup artist
- Makeup counter salesperson
- Fashion makeup artist
- Film makeup artist
- Stage makeup artist
NCEA level 2, or above
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the entry criteria as provided on the Under 20 information.
All students will be required to have a makeup kit and digital camera for photographic work.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fee displayed is for 1 year of study (equivalent to 120 credits) and does not include insurance and administration (approximately $924 per year of study).
Course related costs
- WelTec specialist makeup, hair kit (SFX and fashion products and tools) and study material/ textbook. Price approx $1000
- A digital camera is preferred if you don't have a high quality camera on your phone
- Craft and stationary equipment
- Suitable clothing complying with programme dress code (full professional black clothing)
- Students will have to organise/provide suitable models, as instructed by tutor, for all practical work.
These course related costs are not covered under any fees free funding schemes. To apply for course related costs (as a loan) visit studylink.
Give yourself credit →
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.
Whitireia and WelTec are a business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology.