For over thirty years nursing has been a major programme at Whitireia. During this time, Whitireia has developed a reputation for producing work-ready graduates who are highly regarded by industry.
Whitireia offers applicants the choice of three Bachelor of Nursing Degrees, all of which are approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and meet the Nursing Council of New Zealand’s requirements for registration. These are the Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Nursing Māori and Bachelor of Nursing Pacific.
All are three-year full-time programmes and offer a combination of theory i.e. classroom-based sessions at our Porirua campus and supported clinical experience, which is practical/hands-on work completed in a variety of community and hospital settings.
Students who successfully complete the programme are eligible to sit the Nursing Council of New Zealand State Final Examinations. When passed, the student applies to Nursing Council for registration as a Registered Nurse.
More detail about this qualification
The following costs are approximate. Confirmed costs for next year, instructions on how to complete the health screening, where to purchase your uniform and equipment and first day information will be available on this link from 01 October.
- Health screening: $250 (must be completed prior to programme start)
- Medical equipment: $120 (must be ordered prior to programme start)
- Uniform: $200 (must be ordered prior to programme start)
- Vaccinations (if required by clinical placement): Costs will vary depending on vaccination required i.e. flu, whooping cough
- Stationary: $200
- Clinical Travel Costs: These will vary depending on where you live and where your placements are.
Academic entry requirements
Applicants must meet both the academic and suitability entry requirements.
Whitireia degree entry requirements or equivalent academic/work experience; evidence of suitability based on interview, health screening, safety check and referee reports.
Proven equivalence of entry requirements plus IELTS 6.5 in each band, or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
*International fee displayed is for 1 year of study (equivalent to 120 credits) and does not include insurance and administration (approximately $924 per year of study).
How to apply
Applications should be submitted by 31 October 2022. However, the Selection Committee will continue to review applications received after this date.
- Apply online through the Bachelor of Nursing programme page
- Before you start your online application, you will need to have the following documentation available to upload when requested:
- Completed supplementary application form for health and social services programmes
- Referee report*
- Verified ID
- Verified official transcripts
*Give the referee report to someone who is willing to be your referee. Ask them to complete the forms and return them to you (so you can upload with your application).
Alternatively, completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped into:
Enrolments, Whitireia New Zealand 3 Wi Neera Drive, Porirua
For international applicants - please email your completed application to email@example.com
This qualification is offered by Whitireia.
On 1 September 2022, the operations of Whitireia transferred to the Whitireia and WelTec business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga). As part of this, all existing Whitireia programmes transferred to Te Pūkenga.