What you will learn
The WelTec Managed Traineeship leads to the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Level 4 and is specifically designed for trainee chefs already working in professional kitchens.
The two year, block release programme supports trainees to work towards becoming a qualified chef whilst continuing to be employed in the industry.
You will learn through practical tutorials and workshops and be assessed in a purpose-built environment alongside other trainee chefs. Access to our online learning system and regular onsite visits will provide additional support to both the trainee and the employer throughout the process.
- Cooking methods and their applications
- Cold larder techniques
- Food safety, Health and safety
- Standard operating policies and procedures for commercial kitchens
- Preparation, cooking and presentation of fish dishes
- Farinaceous and vegetable dishes
- Preparation, cooking and presentation of meat and poultry dishes
- Patisserie techniques to produce and present desserts
- Techniques to produce dough and pastry products
Candidates must be employed for a minimum of 24 hours per week in a WelTec approved hospitality business in an appropriate position (e.g.: Kitchen Assistant, Commis Chef, Junior Chef or similar role).
This qualification is offered by WelTec.
On 1 September 2022, the operations of WelTec transferred to the Whitireia and WelTec business division of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga). As part of this, all existing WelTec programmes transferred to Te Pūkenga.