What you will learn
Develop your skills. learn different styles and play in a band. Learn alongside industry professionals, create original songs and gig in local venues.
Our students get the chance to gig with prominent artists which previously have included Annie Crummer, Warren Maxwell, Bella Kalolo, Barnaby Weir and Karl Steven.
This programme is designed to provide a foundation for musicians wishing to work in the music industry or go onto further study. training. It covers all aspects of the music industry from performance, composition and song writing, music technology, music business and instrument studies.
This programme is formerly known as the New Zealand Certificate in Rock, Jazz and Commercial Music (Level 4).
More detail about this qualification
This programme is taught at the Whitireia, Porirua campus.
Students will learn the following skills:
- Instrument Studies - learning to play your instrument to a proficient level
- Ensemble Workshop - playing in groups
- Understanding Music - theory, ear training, musicianship
- Composition - song writing
- Professional Studies - music business, health and safety
- MIDI Technology - using computers to make music
- PA Technology - learning how to set up PA systems and mix live sound
Specialise in your passion:
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.