The intention of this programme is to progress learners with a basic understanding and ability in the use of te reo Māori to a foundational level. Graduates will be able to apply in-depth learning to everyday situations, including communicating respectfully with whānau, hapū, iwi and Māori organisations.
The programme will be delivered part time over two semesters. It consists of four compulsory courses, with each course worth 15 credits each. Students must successfully pass all four courses to pass the programme.
Flexible study options
This programme is 35 weeks part-time (one night class a week).
More detail about this qualification
Providing support for roles such as:
- Language support in administration of a range of Māori and non-Māori organisations – Radio stations, Tourism, Health sector
- Language support assistant in a Kōhanga Reo
- Language support assistant in a Māori radio station
- New Zealand Certificate in Te Reo (Rumaki Reo Rua) (Level 1) or equivalent qualification, or evidence of Level 1 Reo skills
- Suitable for school leavers. Recommended secondary school subjects: NCEA Level 1-3 reo Māori
- International: IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0), or equivalent
Related study options
This qualification is offered by Whitireia.
From 2023, Whitireia and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by Whitireia and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 944 847 or send us a message at email@example.com