The intention of this programme is to progress learners with a basic understanding and ability in the use of te reo Māori to a foundational level. Graduates will be able to apply in-depth learning to everyday situations, including communicating respectfully with whānau, hapū, iwi and Māori organisations.
The programme will be delivered part time over two semesters. It consists of four compulsory courses, with each course worth 15 credits each. Students must successfully pass all four courses to pass the programme.
Flexible study options
This programme is 36 weeks part-time (one night class a week).
This is a 60 credit programme. Classes are held one night per week from 5pm-7pm on a Tuesday evening.
More detail about this qualification
Providing support for roles such as:
- Language support in administration of a range of Māori and non-Māori organisations – Radio stations, Tourism, Health sector
- Language support assistant in a Kōhanga Reo
- Language support assistant in a Māori radio station
- New Zealand Certificate in Te Reo (Rumaki Reo Rua) (Level 1) or equivalent qualification, or evidence of Level 1 Reo skills
- Suitable for school leavers. Recommended secondary school subjects: NCEA Level 1-3 reo Māori
- International: IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0), or equivalent
Use the knowledge you already have to fast-track your qualification. Workplace-learning, volunteering, professional development, other provider qualifications and online courses can be recognised as prior learning and put towards your qualification. Start by getting in touch with us, or find out more here.