What you will learn
Learn how to confidently and competently intervene as an emergency care first responder and sustain life until handover to advanced medical care can occur
- Operate safely, lawfully and ethically as an emergency care first responder
- Assess and manage medical and trauma conditions as an emergency care first responder
- Make decisions as an emergency care first responder, within designated areas of responsibility, accountability, and competence
- Communicate and collaborate effectively to achieve the best outcome as an emergency care first responder
Graduates of this qualification may be able to work in emergency care first responder roles in a variety of settings such as ambulance, outdoor recreation, marine, industrial, and volunteer rescue. Graduates of this qualification do not automatically have a medical delegation or an authority to practice. This is a separate endorsement which may be granted by a service provider.
More detail about this qualification
This programme is delivered online with block courses offered in various locations.
This programme consists of three courses which have a specific emphasis on developing emergency care first responder skills, attitudes and knowledge:
- EC3001: Emergency Care (20 credits)
- EC3002: Professional practice for first responders (10 credits)
- EC3003: Manage complex emergency situations (10 credits)
NCEA level 1 or equivalent qualification/work experience and a current first-aid certificate.
IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0), or equivalent and a current first-aid certificate.
*International fee displayed is for 1 year of study (equivalent to 120 credits) and does not include insurance and administration (approximately $924 per year of study).
Funding your study
Government's Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF)
*This programme is FREE under TTAF, covering; compulsory tuition fees, compulsory course costs and compulsory student services fees. Visit tec.govt.nz for more information about TTAF.
Related study options
This qualification is offered by Whitireia.
From 2023, Whitireia and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology. All programmes offered by Whitireia and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review, to ensure they are portable, consistent and aligned with the needs of industry. The programme you have enrolled in may change over time.
Have a question or feedback?
We're here to help! For any enquiries call us on 0800 944 847 or send us a message at email@example.com